Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Advent Calendar- Part One

Pin It
I've said it once. I'll say it again.
No one loves Christmas more than me (I?.... whatever).

I've been looking for a nice Advent calendar for a couple of years. It didn't take long for me to figure out that most Advent calendars are: 1) lame, and 2) have little to nothing to do with Advent.

The images I found on said lame calendars included Santa hats (not quite Christmas), mice in elf clothes (huh?), and my personal favorite (of Christmas images to hate): a cat curled up by a fireplace... ick.

So anywho... I decided to make my own (duh).

I found many that were really cute, including this one from Homemade by Jill
Photo Source: Homemade by Jill
For her blog posts on this advent calendar, you can follow this link.
I believe Jill's was inspired by this one from Pottery Barn Kids
Photo Source: Pottery Barn Kids

I pulled together my felt... ahh so pretty, did some research, and started making my ornaments.

Mine is a Jesse Tree Advent calendar. Many of you know what a Jesse Tree is. If you don't know and want more information,
Short version: a Jesse Tree is a countdown to Christmas which is based on history's countdown to the birth of Jesus which we (I for one) celebrate at Christmas.
It's all about the story of our salvation.

This project has come together really nicely... and VERY affordable.
I actually had all of the materials on hand.
The felt I've collected from various craft projects and, yes, the remnant pile at the fabric store.
I used ribbon for the ornaments' loops.
You could use embroidery floss for the stitching.
I actually found this sewing kit at a yard sale over the summer for $1, and it has served me well for both The Sandwich Game, as well as this project.

I'm posting the first 12 of the 24 days now, the next 12 will be posted tomorrow, and the final post will be the whole calendar.
So here we go...



Day One: Creation
Genesis 1:1-31; 2:1-4

Day Two: Adam and Eve
Genesis 2:7-9 and 18-24

Day Three: The Fall of Man
Genesis 3:1-7 and 23-24








Day Four: Noah
Genesis 6:5-8, 13-22; 7:17, 23, 24; 8:1, 6-22

Day Five: Abraham
Genesis 12:1-3

Day Six: Isaac
Genesis 22:1-14







Day Seven: Jacob
Genesis 25:1-34; 28:10-15

Day Eight: Joseph
Genesis 37:23-28; 45:3-15

Day Nine: Moses
Exodus 3:1-15








Day Ten: Samuel
1 Samuel 3:1-18

Day Eleven: Jesse
1 Samuel 16:1-13

Day Twelve: David
1 Samuel 17:12-51







But a shoot shall sprout from the stump of Jesse, and from his roots a bud shall blossom.” (Is 11:1)


Have a blessed Advent, everyone!
Check back in tomorrow for Days 13-25


2 comments:

  1. i love this so much, can't wait to see the whole thing. i love your blog also, crafting is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fantastic! I have always wanted a calendar like this for the kids, but I never think of it *before* advent. someday I'll have my act together, but then my kids will be grown and I won't need a calendar.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your feedback! I would love to hear what you have to say.

If you are entering a comment for a giveaway, please be sure to post a comment for EACH entry where more than one entry qualify. Thanks!